To check traffic at different times with Google maps, you’ll need to visit the website or mobile app. From here, you’ll need to follow the various steps in this article that will allow you to see the typical traffic at various times of the day.
In order to reach your destination as quickly as possible, it’s important to avoid traffic where possible.
In fact, avoiding traffic won’t just save you time but help lower your emissions that could be used waiting in excess traffic.
Thankfully Google Maps has a handy feature that allows you to check traffic at different times, using a departure or arrival time setting.
How to Check Traffic on Google Maps at Different Times – App
To do so, open the app:
- Then, select your destination by typing in your address or location name.
- Once correct, click the blue “directions” button.
- You’ll then be presented with an overview of the route at present and given the option to change the start location if needed. (Make sure you select driving and not public transport or walking).
- From this screen, you’ll need to click the three dots in the top right corner to bring up another menu.
- From here, you will want to click “Set depart or arrive time.”
- Now you will be able to select the time you want to depart or arrive at your destination. If you are worried about timings, it’ll be best to select “Arrive by.”
- Complete. You will now be presented with a screen showing the various route options and the typical time frame Google Maps predicts.
If it doesn’t look like the image below, some things went wrong!
Note: The Google Maps app is constantly updated, so the process might be slightly different from the screenshot. This being said, the process should be similar for you to figure out.
Check Traffic at Different times on Desktop
On desktop, the process is similar to the Google Maps app. Probably a little quicker too!
To get started, visit maps.google.com:
- Start by entering your destination address or location name.
- Next, select from the dropdown list or press enter.
- Next, click the blue “Directions” button.
- Now, click on the “leave now” dropdown.
- Choose “Depart at” or “Arrive by,” whichever you prefer.
- Now choose the time you wish to arrive or depart at.
- Complete. You’ll now be presented with the routes and the typical time frames based on your selected times.
It should then look something like the image below. If it doesn’t, something went wrong. Or Googles updated it to look different.
After learning how to check traffic on Google Maps at different times, you may be wondering how it’s even possible for Google to display this. Well, it’s calculated through a range of data points.
These include a mixture of crowdsourced data, historical data, and live traffic captured by local infrastructure such as cameras.
If you are wondering, typical traffic time frames won’t work for any other form of transport, such as walking or cycling, as they generally take the same time regardless of the time of day.
With this being said, you can still plan ahead with public transport, but it won’t display traffic—instead, the scheduled transport options will appear.
This is still super useful and is still a really powerful tool.
If you also want to learn about what the various colors mean in Google Maps, we’ve made a Google Maps Traffic color legend that explains the multiple colors.
Check Traffic at Different Times on CarPlay
At present, you can’t check or look at traffic predictions via CarPlay.
You’re better off unplugging your iPhone and using the steps via the app above.
You can, however, see traffic on your journey indicated by the green, orange and red via the CarPlay display (as seen in the screenshot below).
Or an overview of traffic on the whole journey by the color of the remaining time section (42 mins below).
We hope you’ve now been able to figure out how to find and see traffic levels at various times of day, which is a handy tool for allowing you to plan ahead. Whether it’s for meetings or any other time-sensitive appointment that traffic just can’t get in the way of, you’ll now be all set with the tool to make sure you are never late!
There are many other exciting features that can be challenging to find, which is why on stereoupgrade.com, we’ve got various articles surrounding Google Maps; we even have an article about Google Maps CarPlay settings that you should use be aware of.