Installing a new car stereo can drastically change your driving experience, especially if you own an older car that didn’t come with a great car stereo.
You will likely encounter the Boss vs. Pioneer car stereo debate by researching the various available options.
So, which is the better car stereo brand?
Pioneer is the definite winner when comparing Boss vs. Pioneer car stereo models. Despite the higher price point, Pioneer offers exceptional sound, better quality, and durable units. Boss car stereo’s key feature is the more affordable price.
This article aims to illustrate the differences between the two brands and how you should buy a car stereo for yourself.
I’ll also compare two of their more popular models to help you choose the best option.
Key Features of Boss vs Pioneer Car Stereos
The following table will give you a quick overview of the key features of each of the two-car stereos:
|Boss: Key Features||Pioneer: Key Features|
|Affordable Prices||High-Quality Products|
|Acceptable Quality||Exceptional Sound|
|Most Options Include Video||Expensive|
|Cheaper Materials||Durable, Long Lasting|
When comparing the two brands, it is clear that, while Boss is the more ‘budget-friendly’ option, consumers ultimately end up getting what they paid for.
Pioneer, on the other hand, is consistently rated better for a variety of reasons that go beyond just better sound quality.
That’s not to say that a boss car stereo is necessarily bad. You can buy it at a lower price point if you’re willing to sacrifice durability and quality.
Pioneer offers much better products overall, so even if you do get a low-end Pioneer car stereo, it’s still better quality than any Boss car stereo.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Boss Car Stereo
One of the most important things you should keep in mind when purchasing a Boss car stereo is that you will be compromising some of the quality and durability to pay a lower price.
While the company has built a reputation for being the go-to in car stereos, it did so primarily by making its products more affordable to the general public.
Still, if you’re on a limited budget, a Boss stereo beats most (if not all) models at a similar price point.
Note: See our article discussing if Boss is a good car stereo brand, for more information.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Pioneer Car Stereo
As I’ve stated, Pioneer is an industry leader in car stereos.
A wide variety of models are available, with a diverse array of features.
Generally, they are worth the higher price point, and the sound quality is exceptional.
Before you make a purchase, make sure you keep in mind these factors:
- The audio source you intend you use or have available.
- How the car stereo integrates with your phone or other devices.
- Whether or not you wish to include GPS and navigation features.
- Other features such as connections, screen, and touch input.
- Your budget and any offers you find.
- The power rating of the car stereo and whether it is compatible with your car (especially important if your car is older).
Once you’ve considered all these factors, you will be able to opt for the best car stereo Pioneer has to offer that fits within your budget and requirements.
Comparing Boss vs Pioneer Car Stereo Models
I thought it would be helpful to review a couple of popular car stereo models, one from each brand.
Overall, these are models that offer many features, and they are popular among consumers.
However, you will see a stark difference in quality between Pioneer and Boss.
Best Car Stereos to Listen and Watch
I’ve specifically chosen two models that offer both listening and watching, even though audio is the main entertaining medium for which people purchase car stereos.
Still, if the features are available, why not?
- Bluetooth – Answer/make calls and be hands-free with no distractions.
- Media Playback – Play music through your Bluetooth device, pop in a CD/DVD or use the USB/SD ports.
- Inputs – The USB/SD ports gives you the option to have a vast library of audio files at your fingertips.
- Auxiliary – Compatible with the audio output from smartphones as well as MP3 players.
- Outputs – Use the front & rear pre-amp outputs to hook up your speakers (front left / front right and rear left / rear right.
- Multi-Color Illumination – Set the mood and make your car into your very own sanctuary.
- Equalizer – Customize how you want to hear your music with the balance/fader/ bass and treble.
The Boss Audio BV9976B is sometimes called a car DVD player instead of a car stereo because both features are equally important in determining this model type. Key features include:
- Input: Auxiliary, BlueTooth, USB, and SD card.
- Output: Auxiliary line, video output, front and rear preamp, option to add a secondary screen.
- Integration with music streaming apps.
- CD/DVD player
- AM and FM radio
While the feature list appears to be long, these are pretty standard for car stereos. In fact, some features like CD/DVD players aren’t as relevant these days as they used to be in the past.
Most consumers seem happy with their purchase, but far too many have mentioned parts that stopped working within the first six months. That is a good reason not to buy this model.
- Built-in Bluetooth technology for hands-free talking and audio streaming
- HD Radio Built-in | Dual Rear USB
- Apple Car Play | Android Auto | Work with Google Assistant and Apple Home Kit
- 13-band graphic equalizer with selectable tone curves.Crossover Network:LPF, HPF
- 3 Sets of 4V preamp outputs (front, rear and subwoofer)
- Includes a (external wired/built-in) microphone for clear, convenient, distortion-free talking
- Power Output: Peak: 50 watts x 4 channels RMS: 17 watts x 4 channels
For a slightly higher price, Pioneers AVH offers this sleek touchscreen with multiple inputs and a fully detachable faceplate to take your listening (and viewing) experience to the next level.
Here are a few features worth mentioning:
- Exceptional sound quality
- Connectivity: Apple CarPlay, Android, Miracast, Bluetooth
- Full detachable screen
- Back-up camera
- HDMI input
- Pioneer app radio mode+
- Built-in microphone
These features barely scratch the surface of what Pioneer has to offer in this model.
Additionally, consumer reviews are generally positive. Many users claim that they’ve had the model in working condition for years.
The detachable screen is ideal for kids (or other passengers) who want to take a closer look at a movie.
The audio quality is also unmatched. Not only that, but the model is sleek and fits in with most car designs without looking cheap or bulky.
The dual rear camera inputs come in handy if you don’t already have that option in your car.
Finally, the built-in mic makes integration with music streaming apps (Spotify, Amazon Music, etc..) even more simplified because you can control them by speech. If using CarPlay this can be done via Siri!
Overall, you should always opt for a Pioneer car stereo over any Boss model.
You might find yourself compromising on the number of features to be able to afford it, but you can rest assured that you are getting a high-quality stereo that will last you for years to come.
I’ve found that consumers who purchase a Boss car stereo often have complaints regarding its durability and the overall quality of the product.
As such, I wouldn’t recommend it unless there aren’t other options.